The design was then revised and realised by prominent Kyiv architect Wladyslaw Horodecki, and the decor was executed by Italian sculptor Elio Sala. St. Nicholas’ Kostel is 60 metres high.
The public worships at the cathedral lasted till 1936. Two years later the kostel was closed. In 1943, during WWII, the edifice suffered heavily from the shelling and was on fire. In the course of the 1979-1981 restoration an organ was installed inside the cathedral, and St. Nicholas’ Kostel began functioning as the House of Organ and Chamber Music. Since 1992 the Catholic divine services have been resumed, taking turns with the concert activities of the House.
On 25 June 2001 St. Nicholas’ Kostel was visited by the late Pope John Paul II.