Reminding of that event is a memorial granite stele (2.4m high, 0.9m wide) installed on Park Road in 1997.
According to legend, in these parts in 882, the Kyiv ruler Askold (Christian name Nicholas) was killed by Prince Oleg. From the times of Princess Olga, a timber Church of St. Nicholas stood here. In 1819 it was replaced by a stone Church-Rotunda of St. Nicholas.
Till 1936, around the Askold’s Tomb was a cemetery where outstanding Kyivites were buried. In the 1930s it was demolished and the temple was remodelled into a park pavilion (1935). Only in 1998 the church acquired its primary look.
In 2000 a Chapel of St. Andrew, the First-Called Apostle was erected in the park. At the foot of the hill was installed a statue of this apostle who predicted emergence of Kyiv, a big city with many churches.